Friday, July 8, 2016

Fairmount Afternoon



"Fairmount Afternoon" 5 x 7", oil

sold

Helicopters whirred high above my house, circling over good people marching for Black Lives Matter because two more black men were killed by police.   Far below the copters, in my studio I delighted in painting two folks walking in front of the restaurant Fare, with its red umbrellas and endless display of beautiful plants, on Fairmount Ave on a summer’s afternoon. But my heart was with the marchers, grieving for black families who are not safe in this world.  That every soul should be free to enjoy the simple pleasure of a sunny afternoon without falling victim to bigotry or hatred seems obvious.

Last night, after participating in a loving, positive and hopeful Black Lives Matter vigil at my church it was pretty depressing to hear about the Dallas tragedy. 

“Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.” – Maya Angelou


No comments:

Post a Comment